Sunday, October 16, 2011

Oh, Placerville.

Every once in awhile, I spend my free time browsing the list of current inmates of El Dorado County Jail back in my hometown. I always know a lot of them, whether they're from high school or they're parents of kids from my old work or whatever. Back when I was a junior in high school, there was this big, messy incident where I had to go to court and testify against some punkass kids over the course of a year or so, and I always get really happy seeing when those people are back in jail again. I know, it's a weird little sick pleasure of mine. But it also just makes me really happy that I don't live around there anymore. I know that there are crappy people all over, but El Dorado County just seems to have a lot more than anywhere else. And Idaho has a lot less than most places, I think. I love Idaho.

This is going to be the longest stretch of time I've ever been away from home. From mid-July until Christmastime. I feel like a lot is going to change when I see Placerville next. The last time I visited, there was suddenly a new Panda Express that had just popped up, and they closed a Starbucks. Oh, and my favorite teacher from high school moved to a classroom on the other side of campus. Crazy stuff, I know.

I feel weird calling Placerville home now. I mean, I know that it will always be 'home' in a sense, because I grew up there and that's where my family is. But it's not my home anymore. I don't consider it home. I'll probably never live there again. And that's weird for me to realize that it's not home. Idaho is. I actually kind of consider myself homeless at the moment, because Moscow is a temporary home. Wherever we move to and settle next summer will (hopefully) be our permanent home. I'm excited for that.

I just said the word 'home' eight times in that last paragraph. I think it was kind of overkill. But you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment